It’s kind of funny how being healthy and eating well has been changed through technology. Sure, what was good for you decades ago, still is good for you (apples, brown rice, veggies, etc) but the difference now is that there is a HUGE community out there for people to take advantage of if they choose.
I’ve written before about how techonology and social media has played a role in being healthy and I want to talk about it again. We’re SO lucky to be a part of this era where healthy living, fresh food and technology is right at our fingertips.
I was thinking about all the ways I personally use technology to enhance my healthy lifestlye and I came up with lots of ideas. Technology can be everything from a cutting edge refrigerator to an app on your phone. Here are all the ways I use technology to keep me up to date. I hope some of them inspire you to join in and be even healthier!
1. My favorite: Instagram. This a a HUGE community of all different types of people. Snap a picture of your healthy meal, your running shoes, your sports watch or anything at all. Give it a great hashtag to catagorize it and be amazed at all the like minded people you’ll find out there. I love searching hashtags like #breakfast, #running, #fitfluential, #eat to get me inspired. I also follow people who inspire me to make pretty (delicious & healthy) meals and exercise. (Find me on Instagram here: @nicoleculver)
2. Pinterest: Go on pinterest and find a workout, amazing meal, great gym clothes and more. It’s a virtual online corkboard where you can save things you like and come back to it.
3. Twitter: Okay, maybe twitter is my favorite. This is the ultimate online community to get involved with! I will often simply send out a tweet asking for a recipe and get back so many great ideas. I also love tweeting asking for motivation to workout..someone will always reply and tell me to get moving! (tweet me for motivation! I love being a fitness cheerleader!)
4. Nike+ App, Garmin, Mapmyrun: These are all amazing pieces of technology that let you track your mileage. My favorite is Nike+ app. I share it on facebook and twitter and let people see the distances I’ve put in.
5. Recipe Apps & Blogs: There are SO many recipe apps out there that you can purchase and have a virtual cookbook right in front of you. I personally use blogs to find recipes from. They give me great ideas and inspiration. Often I’ll share great recipes I’ve found.
Using technology allows me to stay on track, be motivated and inspired. It’s a lot easier to stay with healthy eating and exercise with you have a community of people who support you. I always loved healthy eating and exercise but I really feel more complete when I can share it with others. I get excited to cook a delicious meal because I know I’m going to share it with all my friends on Instagram. It’s very encouraging to know that my friends want to see what I’m eating and how I’m moving.
The key to joining these communities is to ENGAGE with others in an authentic way. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people, share your passion and ask for help. That’s what we’re here for, so come join in!
What way do you use technology to enhance your healthy living lifestyle?
With ultra-filtered water from the first ever hands-free dispenser, and micro-climate controls powered by TwinChill technology, the new GE French Door Refrigerator is engineered to push the limits of fresh.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by GE via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of GE.