Is having a “Fit Pregnancy” boastful?

by Nicole on July 16, 2013

What does having a “fit pregnancy” mean?

This is a pretty hot topic, started by Presley…and then continued on with Ashley and Madeline. I have so many thoughts swirling around my head, so I’m going to try my best to get them all down in an organized way. Is “fit pregnancy” comparible to “fitspiration” a term I kind of hate?

I used the term “fit pregnancy”….maybe too much? Does it seem boastful? Because I certainly didn’t mean it like that. When I took pictures during my pregnancy, my intention of using that phrase was to show women can still move while pregnant. I was blessed to be able to exercise my whole pregnancy, but I know many can not. I would never want anyone to feel bad if they cannot workout while pregnant, because you have to do what’s best for you and your baby.

To me having a “fit pregnancy” means moving your body and treating you and your baby in a respectful and safe way. For some people this means going for a short walk daily, for others it means taking a weekly yoga class and lifting some weights and for others it means running until the day they give birth. It’s super individual, but it doesn’t mean one is more or less “fit”. I think we all have the end goal of having a healthy, happy (most of the time) baby and we want to stay fit in hopes we are taking the best care of baby and ourselves. (And if you are on bed rest or being told you have to stop physical activity that’s what best for you and a whole different story!)

Blogs are kind of like reality TV. You only see/read what the producer (or blogger) wants you to see. It’s very easy to get caught in a comparison trap with others and I think blogs make it even easier to compare. For me, I love reading blogs with pregnancy and post pregnancy updates. I enjoy following along with the blogger’s journey. At the same time I understand that they aren’t blogging every single thing they are doing and eating. It’s impossible. Posting post pregnancy body pics can seem boastful, but doesn’t all of blogging? Don’t we all blog because we have a little bit of look at me syndrome? Yes, we blog to inspire and motivate others or to share struggles we are having, but I mean if we didn’t think we were doing something worth talking about, we wouldn’t be posting. (And I mean that whether we are posting about a struggle or a success…)

For me, I loved blogging weekly about my pregnancy. I felt like I had a fit pregnancy because I worked out most days of the week up until the end. Fit also meant I was responsible and treated my body and baby with respect. No overdoing it and no endless cardio. I didn’t measure my “fitness” in my ability to lift a certain number of weights or run/walk a specific amount of miles. After my pregnancy, I was very happy with how my body kind of just went back. I didn’t really feel the need to do post pregnancy updates because there wasn’t much to share. I didn’t work out for 6 weeks, then I got back to it very slowly. Kind of boring. But for those who track their progress weekly or monthly on their blog, more power to them. It’s their blog and if that’s what helps them stay accountable, then I think that’s great! It just wasn’t for me. I have posted pictures here and there on Instagram because I was proud of what my body has been able to accomplish…and I’m sure I’ve gotten an eye roll or ten.

Does having a fit pregnancy mean you’re going to drop the weight super fast? Not necessarily, although I have to admit I do think it helps. There are a lot of other things that go into play, like genes and other factors. But the bottom line is, no matter what you look like 1-2 weeks after you give birth, you stll should be proud of your body. Don’t worry about your pre-pregnancy jeans. Don’t even look at them for a couple of months! I lost the weight pretty quickly but it took about 5 months before my hips went back and I could wear my favorite jeans.

So what’s the point?

I don’t know really. I guess the point is having a fit pregnancy is just like everything else, there is no “one size fits all” approach. Do what works for you and your body. Don’t compare yourself to the next person. I was “running” like 13 minute miles by 36 weeks, while my pal Michele was a month ahead of me and still doing like 8 or 9 minute miles. Does it matter? NO! We were both trying to do the best for each of our bodies.

It doesn’t matter if the person next to you gains 20 pounds or 40, do YOU! If reading blogs puts you in a bad place because you are comparing, STOP reading…or find blogs that lift you up, not pull you down.

Remember bloggers don’t post every single thing they eat or do. It’s snippets of their life. By following their blog and instagram, it’s not going to make you look like them. Be proud of the body you live in, feed it well and treat it with respect. Exercise/Eat/Be pregnant in a way that works and motivates YOU!

What do you think?  Should the term “fit pregnancy” be banned?

Presley @ Run Pretty July 16, 2013 at 7:38 am

Well said! I love how we all have the “do you” aspect in the posts! That’s seriously the biggest issue here, in my opinion. So many people try to emulate others and then feel discouraged if it isn’t working. You have to find your way and your personally “healthy”.

And don’t even get me started on the half-truths people spout off. Like when a celebrity says “I eat cupcakes and work out occasionally…” Then you do the same and don’t have a ripped up bod. I love when they say “Actually this takes a lot of time and effort!” Honesty goes a long way with me. :)

Oh, and the look at me syndrome point is very true! haha I love that you mentioned that. Social Media wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for that. ;)

Presley @ Run Pretty July 16, 2013 at 7:39 am

Personal*

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family July 16, 2013 at 7:47 am

NO. I think having a “Fit Pregnancy” is important as long as you’re able to keep perspective. Where does the line of blogger responsibility and reader responsibility exist? I feel like if you’re honest and realistic in your approach to life (including pregnancy) than you should be proud and able to share that experience. Readers have a responsibility too to be able to understand that a blog is a mere snap shot of a life … there’s no way to capture every moment. Take from it what it’s worth but know it’s not the “end all be all”.

I think the thing that matters most is that we as women lift each other up and help build confidence. There’s too much of tearing other people down and blaming others for how WE feel. Comparison is a tricky and touchy thing but ultimately when one compares, it is a personal problem. I know that it took me a LONG time postpartum with Em to realize that. I have a much different perspective about pregnancy and postpartum this time around. Hind sight is 20/20 :)

BUT I can kind of hate people who fit into their pre-preg pants right away. It took me a long time! HAHA.

calee July 16, 2013 at 10:13 am

I think some who are working on having a “fit pregnancy” aren’t really trying to be their healthiest — I think it’s about not gaining weight or getting too flabby during their pregnancy, and I am not sure that’s the healthiest thing for the baby or the mother.

I would like to see women take back the term “fit pregnancy” and post photos/blogs/tweets of things besides working out. Fitness isn’t being buff or skinny. It’s being healthy and being able to accomplish things you want to accomplish.

char eats greens July 16, 2013 at 10:54 am

I don’t think it should be banned, but I think it should be used more loosely. I never once used it, but maybe because I felt like my fitness routine while pregnant was just that…a new routine. I definitely love reading about what my other mom bloggers have to say, and I think we all just need to respect what you said; these blogs are snippets of our life!! I think as long as you come across as being a good you (which you do ;) ), then people will understand that what you have to say is purely to be real!!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

WELL SAID. I don’t think the term “fit pregnancy” should be banned by any means. Like you said, it can mean a totally different thing from one woman to the next, just like being “in shape” or “fit” and not being pregnant can be. I think Madeline said it well above about blogger responsibility vs. reader responsibility. We have to be sensitive on both sides, but bloggers need to be real, and you also have to know yourself and not get yourself stuck in the comparison trap while reading blogs. Loving all of this discussion!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness July 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I love this discussion. I think fit pregnancy is a wonderful thing when it’s in the mindset like you mentioned. Doing what is HEALTHIEST for your body and your baby. Taking care of yourself – with good nutrition, workouts, rest, forgiveness of self, etc. All aspects of health and self care. I think the problem is when people use it as a goal during pregnancy to only gain a certain amount or to still wear regular pants until X months pregnant or run certain times/do certain workouts. Then, it’s an issue. Could some posts from people with #fitpregnancy lead to those thoughts in another? I’m sure they do in some cases. But it doesn’t mean the term should be banned. We just need to be open and supportive of each other when doing what we can to care for ourselves and our babies best. And keep a realistic perspective on what we read/see from others. Love this discusision!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf July 17, 2013 at 9:36 pm

So well said Nicole. I think that you said it best – that it’s about moving your body in a way that treats you and your baby with respect and that it’s about trying to be healthy in a way that makes sense to you. I think that should be the intention. However, I can and do see how some may call something a “fit pregnancy” when they aren’t treating their bodies or their babies in a healthy way and its all about being skinny.

I don’t think that the term should be banned because I know for me, when I was pregnant, it was important for me to keep moving and to stay active yet there were a lot of people who thought I was crazy and not doing something that was good for me and my baby. In that respect, I really appreciated seeing and hearing about other women who did remain active during pregnancy.

RunHoly November 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I’ve really struggled this pregnancy. I blogged about it here: http://runholy.com/inguinal-hernia-pregnancy/ I guess I’m one of the lucky 1/1000 women that develops an inguinal hernia during pregnancy. I’ve had to switch my health goals mostly to eating, but since this is a huge part of fitness I guess this is a good thing!