Happy almost end of the week! Did any of you sign up for another social network yesterday?
I made millet last week and it was only the 2nd or 3rd time I made it. I bought it months ago, but it’s one of those things that got tossed in the back of my pantry…along with some other grains like amaranth. Guess you’ll be seein’ that next week…
Last week I decided to make it because I couldn’t find my quinoa (which ended up being right in front of my face) and I had no rice left. I was having some people over for dinner and I wanted to make a grain. I usually don’t try new things when I have company…but I kept my fingers crossed. How bad could it taste? Luckily it turned out very well.
You know I’m all about whole grains and since I usually eat quinoa for breakfast every single morning (I’m SO boring & love habits & routines) I like to switch up grains I eat later in the day…plus it also resembles bird food and you should know I LOVE my food to look like bird food.
- Millet contains very heart healthy magnesium, which can also reduce the intensity of asthma AND migraines.
- Magnesium has also been shown to reduce blood pressure and reduce risk of heart attack.
- Also millet and other whole grains can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Millet also contains a significant amount of fiber which lowers the rick of cardiovascular disease and helps you stay fuller longer.
- In one cup of millet there is about 200 calories, 6 grams of protein and 2.25 g of fiber!
Switch things up and give this grain a try! PLUS it cooks in 25 minutes, faster than rice!
Ingredients In a medium saucepan combine millet, vegetable broth and sea salt. Bring to a boil, stir and then reduce to simmer. Let simmer for about 25 minutes. Add in olive oil and cranberries and stir. Serve!
In a medium saucepan combine millet, vegetable broth and sea salt. Bring to a boil, stir and then reduce to simmer. Let simmer for about 25 minutes. Add in olive oil and cranberries and stir. Serve!
Other yummy millet recipes:
- Butternut Squash and Cranberry Millet by Emily
- Roasted Tomato Millet by Emily
- Winter Millet Bake
- Spiced Carrot Millet Muffins
Other Spotlight On Posts:
Get creative in the kitchen and don’t fall into the same routine! Go out any buy this grain and share with me what you end up doing with it!
Have a great day!